Discover these incredible six facts about guys who grow beards. You’ll be surprised by number four.
If you think all guys who grow beards are either professional athletes or fur trappers, you are oh so sadly mistaken. These days, the guys sporting beards are considered very fashion-forward and totally hip. There’s even a new term for them: Lumbersexuals. Bet you’ve never heard that one before.
Here Are 6 Things You Didn’t Know About Guys Who Grow Beards
- Women perceive guys who grow beards as better lovers. It’s true. Surveys of women’s attitudes about sex over the past ten years reveal that women perceive men with beards as better lovers. Although this has not been backed up by any scientific evidence, it’s compelling nonetheless, and great incentive to grow a beard.
- Men with beards are perceived as stronger and more aggressive. A number of studies suggest that both men and women identify men with beards as not only stronger, but also more aggressive than their clean-shaven counterparts.
- Bearded men are seen as more dominant. Again, both men and women perceive men with beards to be more dominant. This ties in with being stronger and more aggressive; however, there’s a subtle but important difference. Dominance conveys leadership abilities, unlike strength or aggressiveness, which can convey impulsiveness and danger.
- Guys who grow beards get more mating opportunities. As mentioned, bearded men are seen as more dominant, and studies show that dominant men get more mating opportunities. How so? By intimidating rivals to make them step aside. This has been true throughout human history. In fact, genetic studies show that a whopping 8 percent of the entire male population of all Asia are descendants of that very domineering bad-boy, Genghis Khan. The warrior and his sons, grandsons, etc, were given first choice of most mating opportunities.
- Guys who grow beards are considered more fashionable. Beards go in and out of style, just like other fashions, and right now they are very much in style. A recent British study of facial hair fashions between 1840 and 1970 had some interesting findings. In times when there were more single men competing for fewer women, beards became more fashionable. The conclusion is that, over time, men discovered that women are more attracted to bearded men than their clean-shaven competitors.
- Bearded men rank higher in several domestic categories. A recent study of women’s attitudes towards bearded men found they ranked highest for parenting skills. Bearded men are perceived as better fathers who are better able to protect their offspring than non-bearded men.
Women’s rankings of men’s masculinity increased in direct proportion to the length of the man’s facial hair. This ranking effect was most common among women in the fertile period of their menstrual cycle. The study’s findings concluded that women rank bearded men higher than non-bearded men in a wide range of categories, from parenting to masculinity.
The fact is, guys who grow beards have a lot more going for them than just a permanent face-warmer. The above points are just the tip of the beard-growing iceberg. For the last ten years or so, men with beards have been viewed as very hip. It’s almost as though they know something their non-bearded brothers don’t. Well, now you know too.